Sixteen central universities have been established which include conversion of three state universities in Chattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, and Uttarakhand. All of them have become functional.
Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs)
Seven Indian Institutes of Management have been established and all of them have become functional.
Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs)
Eight new IITs in Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Rajasthan, Orissa, Punjab, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh and Himachal Pradesh, have commenced their academic activities. The land for these has been identified and all institutes, except those at Gandhinagar and Indore, have taken up construction of their permanent campuses.
Indian Institutes of Information Technology
(IIITs) under PPP mode Twenty IIITs and approximately 1,000 polytechnics are proposed to be set up under this mode. Fifteen state governments have identified land for setting up of the institute. In four cases, the state governments have also identified the industry partners.
National Institutes of Technology (NITs) in each of the larger states/UTs
The government has established 10 new NITs at Arunachal Pradesh, Sikkim, Meghalaya, Nagaland, Manipur, Mizoram, Goa, Delhi, Uttarakhand and Puducherry. As on date, there are approximately 1,600 students pursuing undergraduate programmes.
Indian Institutes of Science Education & Research (IISERs)
Five IISERs at Mohali (Punjab), Kolkata (West Bengal), Bhopal (Madhya Pradesh), Thiruvananthapuram (Kerala) and Pune (Maharashtra) have been established with the objective of promoting excellence in science education.
Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Education for Peace & Sustainable Development
An agreement has been signed with the UNESCO for the establishment of the Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Education for Peace & Sustainable Development at New Delhi. This is the first category institute of UNESCO in the entire Asia-Pacific Region. It will serve as a platform for India to emerge as a global leader in the areas of education for peace and sustainable development.
During the last three years, Education Exchange Programme (EEP)/MoUs have been signed with 12 countries, bringing the total number of such
exchanges to 41.
Establishment of Centre of Excellence for Studies in Classical Kannada and Telugu
These research centres identify sources of classical Kannada/Telugu languages to promote, propagate and preserve.
Modernisation of Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
On its diamond jubilee, a one-time special assistance of Rs100 crore was released for the modernisation of IIT Kharagpur.
- Out of 300 un-served/underserved districts, 281 have been provided a partial financial assistance of `1,915.99 crore till November 12, 2012.
- A partial financial assistance of `255.50 crore for strengthening of existing polytechnics has been provided to 500 polytechnics till August 31, 2012.
- Out of the 500 existing AICTEapproved polytechnics, 487 have been provided a partial financial assistance of `241.60 crore till August 31, 2012.
- 2.20 lakh people have availed training under community development through polytechnics scheme during the financial year 2011-12. An amount of `127.98 crore has been released till August 31, 2012.
- More than 2.5 lakh people have been given training in four regional boards of apprenticeship/practical training (BOATs/BPOT) located at Mumbai, Kolkata, Kanpur and Chennai during the last three years.
National Mission on Education through Information and Communication Technology
• A total of 400 universities and 19,069 colleges have been provided with connectivity under the scheme as on October 31, 2012.
Launch of Aakash 2 Tablet
The low cost access-cum-computing device, Aakash 2, was launched by the President of India on November 11, 2012 at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi. The tablet is powered by a 1 Ghz processor, has a 512 MB RAM, a 7”-capacitive touch screen, and a battery with stand-by time of three hours.
Eighty nine virtual labs were launched on February 23, 2012 for quality enhancement so that learners in the distance education system and those in remotely located and backward areas can reap the benefit of quality and relevant education through ICT.
Interest subsidy on Educational Loans
The scheme, based solely on income criteria and not social backgrounds, has become effective from the academic year 2009-10. An amount exceeding `800 crore has been released by the government for benefiting about 21,55,831 students till August 31, 2012.
National Book Promotion Policy
The draft of the National Book Promotion Policy has been approved by the Central Advisory Board of Education (CABE) in its 58th meeting held on June 7, 2011.
Higher Education for Minorities
- • Academies for professional development of Urdu-medium teachers have been set up in three central universities namely, Aligarh Muslim
- University, Jamia Milia Islamia, and Maulana Azad National Urdu University.
- • `61.31 crore have been sanctioned for the establishment of Residential Coaching Academics for Minorities, and Women.
- • Two new campuses of Aligarh Muslim University have become operational at Murshidabad in West Bengal and Malappuram in Kerala.
- • 374 minority concentrated districts/areas have been identified for the establishment of model degree colleges. Approval has been granted
- to 14 colleges.
- • An amount of `232.67 crore has been released as the initial grant for setting up polytechnics in 46 districts out of 57 districts.
N-LIST (National Library and Information Services Infrastructure for Scholarly Content)
More than 74,000 e-Books from 297 publishers and 3,700 eJournals are available to 1,08,729 students in 1,512 institutions. Similarly, for university students, more than 7,500 eJournals to students in 297 institutions are available from INFLIBNET and IIT Delhi. Full text e-Thesis, numbering 2,224, is also available on the INFLIBNET network.
Education of Scheduled Castes/Scheduled Tribes
- Coaching classes to prepare for National Eligibility Test (NET)
- Establishment of Equal Opportunity Cells (EOCs) for sensitising university/college communities on problems faced by SC/ST students in higher education
- Postgraduate scholarships to SCs/STs and minorities
- Postdoctoral fellowships for SCs/STs measures initiated by the IITs to prevent any form of caste-based discrimination
- Indira Gandhi Scholarship for single girl child for pursuing higher and technical education
- Development of women’s studies in universities and colleges