Dwindling quality is a matter of concern in technical and management institutes across India. But fostering excellence and quality in higher education institutions presents a range of challenges. These include developing excellent pedagogical practices and attracting quality faculty to implement them
|Prof K Lal Kishore, Vice Chancellor, JNTU, Anantapur|
We have had a history of educational institutes like Takshashila and Nalanda where the spirit of inquiry was encouraged. Even though we expanded education as such, the spirit of inquiry is not being encouraged so that’s why we find the quality is not satisfactory at the higher education level. India has the largest higher education system in the world in terms of the number of institutions as compared to the USA and China. The numbers are attractive but it is not proportionate as per the population and there are some state-wise anomalies and progress is not uniform. A lot needs to be done to increase the Gross Enrolment Ratio (GER). The undergraduate enrolment is highest at 86 percent followed by post graduate which is only 12 percent, but it is less than one percent for research or PhD programmes.
|Chandrashekhar Kumar, Commissioner-cum-Secretary, Employment &|
Technical Education & Training Dept, Govt of Odisha
The whole system of higher education stands on the edifice of school education. We cannot suddenly talk about quality at higher education level. If good quality is maintained through the school or senior level then probably we will have better quality at this level, but if there is a huge gap then that is a matter of concern. Also, we have to educate in such a manner that a student is employable after next four to five years of college. These are the two biggest challenges. Another big challenge is that we have to create teachers for future, for both in higher as well as school education
| Anbuthambi B,|
Associate Vice President, ICTACT, Tamil Nadu
If you go to a campus hiring manager of any big company, they point out that the students are good technically, but they lack communication or soft skills like conversing in English, ability to present themselves, teamwork skills or are unable to adapt to the company culture. So these skills should ideally come right from the school. Today, that can change only when the success measure of the school changes. Another important factor is the faculty in engineering colleges. Nobody checks where the teachers are coming from. There are certain teacher training institutes but it is not compulsory and many new teachers are last year pass outs from the same or other colleges without any prior training.
| Dr K Sarukesi,|
Vice Chancellor, Hindustan University
There should be inspiring teachers in technical education because only 25 percent of the technical content is imparted under classroom teaching and the rest of the 75 percent the student has to learn on his own. So we need to impart a different type of training to the teachers so that they make lectures interesting and inspiring.
DigitalLEARNING, is an initiative of Elets Techomedia Pvt Ltd existing since 2003. Now, Elets' YouTube channel -- Elets tv, a treasure of premier innovation-oriented knowledge-conferences and awards, is also active.
To Subscribe Free, Click Here
Like us on Facebook, connect with us on LinkedIn and follow us on Twitter.