With its outstanding faculty, world class teaching standards, and innovative academic programmes, Sharda university intends to set a new benchmark in the Indian education system, says Prof. G R C Reddy, Vice Chancellor, Sharda University, in conversation with Elets News Network (ENN).
In order to make student technically competent, what methodologies are adopted by Sharda University in teaching-learning process?
Sharda University has been established under the State Legislature of Uttar Pradesh through act no 14 of 2009 as a private university under the Sharda Education Trust (a non-profit trust, registered in 1995 under the trust registration act, 1886).
The university has a well laid-out and systematic process of merging its students’ career aspirations with corporate expectations. Sharda university believes in providing the best college experience to the students. With state-of-the-art facilities and upgraded infrastructure, Sharda University is one of the best universities in the country matching international standards.
Educational programmes at the university deliver a broad- spectrum of world-class education, combined with practical experience to the students. There are number of engineering programmes at undergraduate level which run in collaboration with industries like IBM, Tech Mahindra etc.
The placement cell at the university has a student committee that comprises 15 members. Placement Managers, faculties, and industry professionals, act as a bridge between the university’s schools, industries and students. The leading companies from all sectors are invited by the placement Department on the campus, where the eligible students are facilitated to go through the entire selection process. The entire process is governed by the student’s ability and performance, as well as the requirements and norms of the industry.
Tell us about the academic departments and researches being conducted at the University. Are there any corporate-sponsored researches and courses available at the university?
Sharda university is a research and innovation-driven university committed to promote research, extension, entrepreneurship and innovation. The outcomes of such researches are used for the benefit of mankind at both national and global levels. the university has a research policy which applies to all the faculty/staff members, research scholars and students of Sharda University who are engaged in any form of research activity. The policy focuses on:
- Fostering a culture of research amongst the members of faculty, staff and students
- Enhancing interaction and cooperation between researchers for interdisciplinary and multi-disciplinary research
- Forging academic and research collaborations with national and international universities, government agencies and industries
- Establishing links with various R&D organisations and funding agencies for sponsored and contract research
- Promoting entrepreneurship among the students by encouraging start-ups and innovations
- Addressing problems faced by the society and providing innovative solutions
The university offers PhD programme in 22 disciplines. there are about 260 registered PhD Scholars. 62 research scholars have already been awarded PhD degree by Sharda University. The university has 20 published patents and 16 design registration.
Research Facility: The university has three well equipped research and technology Development centre (ISO certified), material research laboratory, environment laboratory and water resources laboratory. The research and Technology Development Centre (RTDC), a nodal centre to foster the research activities in various multidisciplinary areas has been established. RTDC has been established to explore cutting edge high tech research in the areas of science, engineering and medicine.
What are the parameters considered by Sharda University while collaborating with a foreign university to provide better exposure to students?
International Relations Division (IRD) of Sharda University consists 20 members and plays an important role while collaborating with a foreign university to provide better exposure to students. The key parameters are:
- Vision & Mission
- Areas of excellence (building synergy)
- Complementary areas of excellence (filling gaps)
- Compatibility with the international goals of our institution
- Fit with the range of our existing partnerships
- Quality and integrity of potential partner
- Partner is in a part of the world of interest to our institution
- Resources and structures exist to support the partnership over time
- Proposed partnership has undergone appropriate reviews at our institution
How does the University help its existing faculty members to enhance their skills?
All faculty members at Sharda University are encouraged to enroll for relevant Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) and complete at least one certificate course every academic year. The faculty member also given incentive in the form of
- Certification fee, if applicable, will be reimbursed by the university after successful completion of course
- Faculty members will be eligible for cash reward of rs 25,000/- upon successful completion of any course
- Upon successful completion of four courses, faculty member are entitled to an extra increment in the following salary revision
- Faculty members are also encouraged to undergo training programmes organised by National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC), Government of India
What kind of framework has been developed by the University to conduct effective educational research of the highest standard?
Sharda University has developed a framework to conduct effective educational research which revolves around five components: learning climate, classroom assessment and reflection, instructional rigor and student engagement, instructional relevance, and content.
Learning Climate: University has provided a safe environment supported by the faculty member in which high expectations and positive relationships are fostered and active learning is promoted.
Classroom Assessment and Reflection: the faculty members and students collaboratively gather information and reflect on learning through a systematic process that informs instruction.
Instructional Rigor and Student Engagement: Faculty member supports and encourages a student’s commitment to initiate and complete complex, inquiry-based learning requiring creative and critical thinking with attention to problem solving.
Instructional Relevance: Faculty member’s ability to facilitate learning experiences that are meaningful to students and prepare them for their futures.
Knowledge of Content: Faculty member’s understanding and application of the current theories, principles, concepts and skills of a discipline.