At present, due to the unprecedented situation of Covid-19 , we all have shifted our pedagogy and mode of teaching learning overnight, says Dr Ritu Chauhan, Principal of Manipal International School, Bangalore in a conversation with Elets News Network (ENN).
Indian Education system has undergone a drastic change in the last few months. All these years, we were postponing the changes which are required and were not ready to go beyond our comfort zones. We were teaching the students in four walls with face to face interaction and mostly in traditional set ways with little technology. At present, due to the unprecedented situation of Covid-19 , we all have shifted our pedagogy and mode of teaching learning overnight.
As principals, we need to assure our parents, students and all staff members that post COVID-19, school environment will be safe for all of us. In a fearful environment, we may not be able to learn and grow together so its utmost important to make the place SAFE for all.
We are planning to take the following measures in our school for which our planning is already in place and needful arrangements will be made prior to reopening of school for students, staff and other visitors.
Also read: Measures school will take posts Covid-19
1. Hygiene maintenance committee- Formation of this committee which includes facility manager, transport manager, cafeteria in-charge, housekeeping in-charge and a trained nurse. This team will be trained by the officials to monitor and control the infection in the entire campus.
2. Sanitization Routine- Daily sanitization of all areas of the schools with the help of trained staff. Battery sprayers, manual sprayers, disinfectants etc should be bought and used with great care in terms of their dilution ratio.
3. Staggered classes- Students of pre primary will come once in a week to school. Primary grades will come to school two days in a week. Middle and high school students will attend 3 days in a week. Other days, they will study at home via online mode and blended teaching techniques.
4. Staggered transport- One child per seat will help social distancing. Before boarding the bus, children will be sanitized by the bus helper.
5. Masks- Masks will be compulsory for ALL.
6. Arrogyasetu and other government instructed apps will be compulsory to install for all staff as well as visitors.
7. Online PTMs- All meetings with parents will be conducted online. Staff meetings and daily updates will be taken through online mode.
8. Multiple Checks and sanitization levels- At the main gate, at the entry point of building, washrooms, cafeteria etc, multiple checks will be done.
9. Audit and certification- We have registered for Green germ-free school audit with an agency so that we are rest assured that all places are disinfected from time to time and staff is trained to continue the disinfection drive.
10. Children awareness programs- Our psychologists and counsellors are taking care of the mental wellbeing of our children.
Academically, we have developed content which will be given to the children and with the guidance of our teachers, their academic journey will continue. Novel ways of assessments are designed by our curriculum team. We need to keep faith in our children and seek little support from our parents. I think, as a community, we are taking this responsibility and supporting each other.
Children, parents and teachers need our support and we must make it possible. As leaders, we need to figure out ways to tackle these unprecedented situations.