Online PhD programme by edtech will not get recognition: UGC

University Grants Commission

Edtech companies have developed online PhD programmes in collaboration with foreign universities. The University Grants Commission (UGC) released a notice to warn the students that it would not recognise online Phd programmes.

As per the notice, “Such online PhD programmes are not recognised by the UGC. Aspiring students and the public at large, are requested to verify the authenticity of PhD programmes as per UGC Regulation 2016 before taking admission.”

Earlier in October also, The UGC notice released by AICTE reaffirmed the UGC laws their revisions and said universities need to comply with the same when conferring doctoral degrees on their students.

As per UGC regulations
UGC regulations have already warned that all higher education institutions (HEIs) in India must provide doctoral degrees to students as per adherence to the guidelines.
The UGC notice noted that the commission had announced the UGC (Minimum Standards and Procedure for Award of MPhil, PhD degrees) Regulation 2016 to regulate and standards for PhD degrees.

UGC revised the PhD rules in March 2022. As per the UGC (Minimum Standards and Procedure for Award of MPhil, PhD degrees) 2022, students who have cleared UGC National Eligibility Test (NET) or Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) should get 60% of the PhD slots in universities. The remaining slots of 40% will be covered by the university entrance exams for admitting doctoral students.