With the ever-growing integration of technology in society, it was only a matter of time before artificial intelligence (AI) began to enter the classroom. And while AI can be used in several ways, its potential for education is perhaps most significant. When it comes to the field of learning, there’s no one-sizefits-all solution. But, if there’s one constant, it’s that of the teachers playing a pivotal role in students’ success. Teachers are always looking for new ways to engage and motivate their students. And with the advent of new technologies, there are more opportunities than ever to do just that. For one, AI can help identify and address learning gaps earlier on. In addition, AI-enabled technologies can provide more personalized instruction and feedback for students. Not only this, but it can also be used to develop new assessment tools and methods for teachers.
With such advanced techniques in place, teachers can personalise learning for each student, identify areas where students may need extra support, and can also provide realtime feedback. When used correctly, AI has the potential to transform education and help every student reach their full potential. Here are a few ways AI can support teachers and students:
1. Personalised Learning: Each student’s strengths and weaknesses can be thoroughly known and customise learning content and assignments can be processed and delivered accordingly. This way, every student can receive an education that’s tailored just for them – making it more likely for them to succeed.
2. Extra Support: If a student is struggling in a particular subject, AI can provide targeted assistance to help them catch up so that the gap immediately gets bridged, and the students progresses well.
3. Real-Time Feedback: Teachers often have to wait until after an assignment is turned in to give feedback. However, with AI, feedback can be given in real-time, and the intervention can be done in a super quick manner. This way, students can correct their mistakes and learn from them right away.
There is no shor’tage of potential applications for artificial intelligence (AI) in education. Below are a few examples of how AI is being used in classroom teaching:
1. Virtual reality (VR) simulations: Students can use VR to step into realistic simulations of historical events or learn about new concepts in science and math. This will give them the feel of the actual happenings and will also let them lead into the creative world of technology.
2. Online tutoring: AI-powered chatbots can provide one-on-one tutoring outside of school hours. These chatbots can answer questions, give feedback on practice problems, and track progress over time.
3. Predictive analytics: Data from past students can be used to predict which current students are at risk of falling behind. This information can then be used to target interventions and support accordingly.
4. Automated grading: AI can be used to grade essays and other written assignments automatically. This frees up teachers’ time so they can focus on more important tasks, such as providing personalized feedback to students.
5. Learning games: Games that adapt to a player’s skill level and increase in difficulty as they improve are an effective way to keep students engaged in their learning.
With teachers plus AI concepts, the former can simplify complex topics quite efficiently. Through AI, difficult concepts are broken down into manageable chunks for students leading to a drastic improvisation in teaching and learning methodology.
Views expressed by Puneet Kothapa, President, Narayana Group