A response from the city government and six private schools has been sought by the Delhi High Court regarding a plea for doing away with a draw of lots that was conducted for admission into nursery for economically weaker sections (EWS). According to the plea, the draw conducted for nursery admissions was in violation of the Right To Education (RTE) Act. The court has also asked the Directorate of Education (DoE) to probe the allegations made by a minor, Kanishka Panwar, who had approached the High Court through his mother Kavita and had alleged that he had been denied admission to schools as his father's annual salary was Rs.1.4 lakh. The notice to the Education Department of the Delhi government was issued by Justice Rajiv Sahai Endlaw and replies from schools have been sought by March 11 regarding the plea by Kanishka for being denied admission under the 25% quota for EWS category, which is in violation of the RTE Act. The Education Department has also been asked by the court to submit a report by March 11 by conducting an enquiry into the matter. Kanishka had said in his petition that he filed through advocate Ashok Aggarwal that the schools neither considered his father's annual income for admission nor the fact that he belonged to the OBC category and therefore, was eligible for admission through the EWS quota. The petitioner's council said that the parents had made a representation against the schools that allegedly denied admission to Kanishka. However, the government has not yet taken any action against them.