Implementing Agency: Gujarat Technological University
The Gujarat Technological University (GTU) was setup by the state in 2007 to regulate the affiliation, examination and curriculum development in diverse areas of professional education. To achieve the goal of bringing new digital technology to education, GTU is working on the lines of Industry Define Project (IDP), Faculty Development Project (FDP) and User Define Project (UDP).
Exam paper delivery system at GTU is now paperless. Security is through encryption /decryption technique having three layer password protections, out of which one password is delivered before half an hour of the examination through dedicated mobile SMS service.
Need for the Project
- To help students develop the knowledge of subjects like science, engineering, technology, management, environment, etc.
- To create institutes and centers of excellence for imparting state-of-the-art education, training and research.
- To create capabilities for development of knowledge, skill and competency at various levels.
- To establish close linkage with industry for making teaching, training and research relevant to the needs of the industry at various levels.
- GTU has initiated encrypted examination papers on compact disk first time in the state and used mobile SMS technique to decrypt examination papers.
- Automation of pre-exam activities like exam form generation and receipt, hall ticket generation and student exam barcode is initiated. This has been achieved with proper implementation of Information Technology.
- GTU has developed its own IT based bar-coded automated system for all kinds of tasks related to the conduction of examinations.
- GTU’s examination results are declared on its web-site only.
- To improve the teaching learning processes, GTU has taken several ICT Initiatives: there is use of WebEx for remote teaching of VLSI Design and Embedded Computing courses through experts from all over the world.
- GTU Wikis (“using collective intelligence for improving Learning Outcomes”) are intended to serve teachers of GTU consortium colleges (PPP colleges)
- At a few colleges GTU has provided rooms with 12-15 computers connected to a central server, on which the entire video course-set of IIT Mumbai is mounted.
- ICT Enabled University Award for e-learning and Manthan Award South Asia for conducting On-line Entrance test for first time in any state in the year-2009.
- GTU is honoured with GESIA Award for best IT practicing university in 2011.
- On April 14, 2011, GTU won the best jury Award under in category of Best Interface between Academia – Industry at the World Education Summit 2011, New Delhi for its GTU Innovation Council project.
- GTU bags the award for ICT enabled University of the Year in E India 2009.
- University has started functioning in the year 2008 with engineering and pharmacy institutions (219 approx.) and grown up to 500 plus institutions imparting education in the field of engineering, pharmacy, management, computer science and Hotel Management.