For long time we thought Education is Teaching and Learning, Data Collection, Grasping, Memorizing, reproducing in the Exams and getting good marks etc. With the advent of digital data all the above roles of education appear baseless. It is now well understood that Education is nothing but making our students knowledgeable or Wise.
In this context digital learning is increasingly becoming popular with students. The present situation in India and abroad has given an opportunity for all of us. Sri Siddhartha Academy of Higher Education has taken special measures to help the students:
- All faculty members are requested to outline the curriculum for the 21 days and asked to prepare their on line lectures. Where ever not possible they are asked to identify similar lectures from National or International Universities/ Digital Education providers.
- Answer first and discuss next methodology: All students are asked to study the subject, prescribed by the faculty through digital lectures of our University. About 15- 20 questions were given to all students at the end, answers collected and common mistakes are clarified by the faculty members through on line chat software.
- Flipped Class Rooms: Instead of one way lectures in the class rooms students are asked to learn at home from online lectures. Lecture notes and PPTs of the faculty members are shared with the students whenever necessary.
- Student and faculty involvement are evaluated on daily basis by the HOD/ Academics Head.
These methodologies will:
- Flip the education from Classroom to Home and Teaching to Learning.
- Remove the apprehension in the minds of faculty members to finish the syllabus. This concept is known as uncovering the syllabus instead of covering the syllabus.
- Remove the compulsion of attendance.
- Enhance the intellectual energy of students, improve the level of understanding, help in grasping the concepts easily, ensure better comprehension of crucial concepts and learn Practical Applications.
- Changes the students mind set from data Collection to Knowledge and Knowledge to Wisdom.
Finally, the faculty members had an inherent apprehension in implementing digital education and this forced lock down has enhanced the opportunities for digital education and better acceptance by the faculty members.
Dr Bala Shetty, MD, DNB, MD (USA)
Vice Chancellor, Sri Siddhartha Academy of Higher Education, email@example.com