By Abhijit Chaudhari, Director, GATEFORUM
Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is an all India examination that primarily tests the comprehensive understanding of various undergraduate subjects in Engineering and Technology. GATE is conducted jointly by the Indian Institute of Science and seven IITs (IIT Bombay, IIT Delhi, IIT Guwahati, IIT Kanpur, IIT Kharagpur, IIT Madras and IIT Roorkee) on behalf of the National Coordination Board – GATE, Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India.
The GATE score of a candidate reflects the relative performance level of a candidate. The score is used for admissions to various post-graduate programmes (eg. M.E., M.Tech, direct Ph.D.) in Indian higher education institutes with financial assistance provided by MHRD and other Government agencies. The score may also be used by Public sector units for employment screening purposes.
Here are 10 things that can help you score well…
- Set your goals – Different goals have different strategies and hence it is important to define your goals in terms of the rank you want to achieve. If you are aspiring for the top IITs or PSUs, you will need a rank of less than 1000 and hence you will have to prepare thoroughly on all topics. On the other hand, if your goal is to just qualify, then you can afford to leave out 2-3 topics from your preparation.
- Take a diagnostic test – Before starting your preparation it is important to know your initial level of competence. An analysis of your performance in this test will tell you your strengths and areas where improvement is required. Based on this, you can device your preparation strategy.
- Build your concepts – GATE is an exam which tests concepts as well as their application thoroughly. Join a good classroom program or an online tutoring program which will help strengthen your concepts.
- Practice makes man perfect – As the old adage goes, there is nothing better than extensive practice. Solve all types of questions you come across in various books and be prepared on all question patterns
- Familiarize with formulae – Engineering subjects have a lot of formulae, which more often than not have to be memorized. Noting down all formulae as and when you finish each topic or referring to a collection of formulae will help you get familiar.
- Do not ignore General Ability – General Ability constitutes 15 percent of the total marks and hence is one of the most important sections. Ignore it at your own peril.
- Appear in a Mock Test Series– Take up a mock test series as it will help you adapt to the online pattern. It will also help you assess your preparation
- Make your own exam strategy – Some people like to start solving a paper from the first question, while some people like to glance through the entire paper and start answering questions from their areas of strength. Based on your experiments in the mock test series, you can fine tune your own exam strategy.
- Relax before the exam – One day before GATE, stop thinking about it. Watch a movie or anything that relaxes you. Appear for the exam with a fresh mind.
- Remember that GATE is not the end of the world – Put your best foot forward and do not worry excessively about the results.
DigitalLEARNING, is an initiative of Elets Techomedia Pvt Ltd existing since 2003. Now, Elets' YouTube channel -- Elets tv, a treasure of premier innovation-oriented knowledge-conferences and awards, is also active.
To Subscribe Free, Click Here
Like us on Facebook, connect with us on LinkedIn and follow us on Twitter.